[squeak-dev] Accidential interning of symbols via the world's search bar? Not here...

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Aug 5 16:36:11 UTC 2016

> On 05-08-2016, at 1:09 AM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>

> On 05.08.2016, at 08:53, marcel.taeumel <Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi, there.
>>
>> In the last board meeting, Tim reported that our search bar interns search
>> strings as symbols automatically.

As a quick test
open an image (my example is a #16174 update)
use search bar to lookup ‘fooble’
‘fooble’ appears in the message finder list
in a workspace
Symbol lookup: ‘fooble’ -> #fooble
Symbol allSymbols includes: ‘fooble’ -> true

I’m pretty sure it’s SearchBar>>smartSearch:in: causing this since it uses ‘input asSymbol’ about halfway down. Not sure of the cleanest way to avoid this though. Maybe it would be best to see if the input is a symbol first? Or, better yet IMO, simply drop that entire clause since searching for something I think starts with ‘blorp’ and annoyingly finding there is also an exact match for ‘blorp’ when a message list opens is… annoying. Much nicer to get the usual search thingy.

Err, wait a minute; that method looks royally messed up. Can anyone see how the last four lines might ever get executed?

tim