[squeak-dev] Re: The Inbox: ReleaseBuilder-cmm.143.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 19:35:52 UTC 2016

Hi Marcel,

> for out-of-the-box compatibility, I would suggest to leave
> "allowUnderscoreAsAssignment" enabled.

Are you referring to compatibility with old, or new, applications?
Are there applications running on modern Squeak 5 still using
underscores?

At one time, I guess we thought there were sufficient issues
associated with overloading the underscore character, that we decided
to explicitly encourage applications to run FixUnderscores.

If people are actively still  preferring the use of underscore
assignment in new code today, then I can understand turning it on..

Just curious.