[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.1 Feature Freeze -- Trunk closed for new features; only bug fixes or text updates

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Fri Aug 12 15:08:37 UTC 2016

Tobias Pape wrote
> On 11.08.2016, at 20:14, tim Rowledge <

> tim@

> > wrote:
>
>>> On 10-08-2016, at 8:21 AM, marcel.taeumel <

> Marcel.Taeumel@

> > wrote:
>>> A first All-In-One can be tried out from here:
>>> https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/artefacts/squeak/Squeak5.1beta-16336-r3397-32bit-All-in-One.zip
>>>

>> I like the idea of the welcome dialogue stuff. But I see some problems
>> that we hopefully still have time to handle.
>>
>> -The initial ‘welcome’ text is in the middle of the screen and then jumps
>> to the top. Seems a bit jarring.
>> - second ‘page’ - “You can try… “ might be better more like  “You can see
>> the effects of these settings in the live and editable windows to the
>> right”
>> - there’s no hint what many of the settings will do or how they might
>> affect things. Help balloons might be enough to solve this, explaining
>> for example how to see the effect of choosing ‘fast drag and resize’.
>> - at the end of the welcome we are dropped into a dark empty world. I
>> half expect Orcs to come charging at me. Maybe an open browser and
>> workspace ought to be left in place? For experts skipping the whole thing
>> I suspect the first thing we’d do is open a browser/workspace anyway!
>> - it leaves out the thing I’d suggest is most important of all - urging
>> the user to first save the image in a new place to discourage the ‘abuse’
>> of changing the default image. I claim we should conventionally start a
>> new system from the all-in-one, save the image in a local place and
>> thereafter run that image until and unless a fresh image needs to be
>> started. Think of this like many applications that allow opening a new
>> file or a template, with the default image being a very well set up
>> template.
>> - another useful start-up option here would be entering developer
>> initials
>> - another would be to point out the help system. Of course, we need to
>> improve the content therein as well. And the swiki as always is in need
>> of love.
>>

>>> Note that we are looking for start-up bugs in the Linux scripts.
>>
>> At least for the ARM linux tree the ‘squeak’ shell script is not so good.
>> - it ought to be finding the latest vm; this is a little complex because
>> of the naming change from blah-XXXX to blah-2106MMDDHHMM. And of course,
>> affected by which VM is to be delivered anyway.
>> - the newer versions of the script add an option for a gdb flag.
>> - it may be appropriate to have the x86 & ARM versions differ in their
>> approach to finding the clib
>> - at least for the ARM version there is a serious issue with remote
>> displays (that is, ARM linux has the problem, which squeak triggers) and
>> we need to wrap the whole thing in ‘sudo -E’. We have a program that can
>> be used to test this at runtime (I can send it to anyone interested) but
> [...]

Hi, there.

We started to put the release artifacts on files.squeak.org. See:
http://files.squeak.org/5.0/
http://files.squeak.org/5.1beta/

Here is a new version for you to try out:
http://files.squeak.org/5.1beta/Squeak5.1beta-16393-32bit-r3397-All-in-One.zip
http://files.squeak.org/5.1beta/Squeak5.1beta-16393-64bit-r201608051639-All-in-One.zip

Best,
Marcel