[squeak-dev] Re: Windows opening in background

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Sat Aug 13 12:36:38 UTC 2016

Nicolas Cellier wrote
> thanks!
> I just wonder out of where you found the fix, it does not seem at all
> obvious to me.

> Marcel.Taeumel@

> >:
>
>> marcel.taeumel wrote
>> >
>> > Nicolas Cellier wrote
>> until

>> > Hi Nicolas,
>> >
>> > this happens when you "debug it" via the context menu, right? It should
>> > not happen when you press CMD+SHIFT+D.
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Marcel
>>
>> Hi Nicolas,
>>
>> fixed: http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Morphic-mt-1274-mcz-td4910898.html
>>
>> Best,
>> Marcel
>>

>> --

Hi Nicolas,

this is how I did it:

(1) There is a window coming to front, so put "self haltOnce" in
SystemWindow >> #comeToFront.
(2) Specialize that breakpoint with "if you are a workspace and the current
top window is a message set" like around a workspace where I used the menu
to open "implementors" on some text selection.
(3) The stack showed me that there is event bubbling going on after the menu
dismissed, which surprised me because my mental model of pop-up menus in
Morphic is state-based not function-based (i.e. spinning on the stack).
(4) Then I found that #yellowButtonActivity: does this functional spinning
for pluggable text morphs where any other scroll pane (e.g. pluggable list
morphs) do it state-based.

This most tricky part was to interpret the stack of the debugger and it
required much knowledge about the event dispatching mechanism in Morphic,
which I worked on a lot in the past months.

In the end, I agree with Bert's argument that function-based spinning (i.e.
modal invocation) from the old MVC days is not appropriate for Morphic
because it causes many sorts of bugs, which are hard to debug.

Morphic's tools and halos work better with state-based challenges/bugs. :-)
For later, I also flagged TextMorph >> #yellowButtonActivity: because I have
no idea how this code gets called at all. Their senders might rely on having
a function-based invocation of menu.

Best,
Marcel