[squeak-dev] Squeak 5.1, saving of Morphic projects is broken

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Aug 29 14:45:15 UTC 2016

IMHO we should reconsider how project saving works. ImageSegments were a
good technology back when machines and the interpreter VM was slow. Now we
have faster machines and VMs so this very VM-dependent mechanism is no
needed anymore.

Yoshiki's S-Expression format is one way to serialize, yes. We have used it
for the QuickGuide projects in the Squeakland image. In the short term it's
a good option. However, for more general project saving we may want to take
a look at other serialization schemes.

I think we should deprecate ImageSegment. Is there any active use of them?
I seem to remember SqueakMap used them but I'm not sure.

- Bert -