[squeak-dev] DateAndTimeLeapTest>>testAsSeconds is broken

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Dec 3 23:12:42 UTC 2016

On Sat, Dec 03, 2016 at 04:06:10PM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:

> Hmm..  Magma used DateAndTime>>#asSeconds to store the integral
> representation of the timestamp of its commit-log records..  however,
> as the commit-log records are rarely consumed at all, I think this
> should be okay.

Think about what would happen if someone was actively using a Magma
database during a "fall back" daylight savings time transition period.

> Does anyone else have any major impacts?  Dave, you mentioned objects
> in the snapshot.bin files, needing a "format" conversion, what is
> that?

That is a separate topic. In UTCDateAndTime I changed the instance variables
in DateAndTime, which requires considering what to do with "old format"
instances that may be stored in a snapshot.bin and need to be materialized
while processing the Monticello update stream that I prepared for UTCDateAndTime.
I added the necessary support recently, but I will need to rebuild the update
stream is there is interest in using it.

Dave