[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Collections-topa.726.mcz

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Tue Dec 6 21:50:55 UTC 2016

On 06.12.2016, at 22:25, Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Dec 2016, Tobias Pape wrote:

>>> Using the current implementation, addition might be O(1) if you hold a reference to the internal list node, but removal is O(n) unless you maintain backwards pointers - aka make the list doubly-linked.
>>> OrderedCollection is far superior in growing/shrinking (provided it's done at one of its ends), both in term of run time and memory usage, since it needs fewer objects.
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> But sometimes you need a linked list.
>
> Right. But whenever I do, I roll my own because
> - most of the time I need a doubly linked list (e.g. LRUCacheHeadNode and LRUCacheNode)
> - I already have a class hierachy to match, so I can't subclass LinkedList (see ODatedEntry in OCompletion, this is also a doubly linked list)
>
>> It is not that the trunk _should_ use it but that Squeak programmers _can_ use it.
>
> There must be a reason why it's not being used in the Trunk. :)

So is the XMLParser, the SerialPort, the SecureSocket, the POP3Client, the PNMReadWriter, the ScaleMorph, the AsyncFile ; Regex rarely, even the Abort exception is unused

I always thought as Squeak as an environment, as system I can program my application into.
If we say, bah we need no standard-library except for what is _used_ in trunk, this is moot :/