[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Tools-cmm.733.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 19:13:51 UTC 2016

Hi Tobias,

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 06.12.2016, at 22:50, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
>
> > Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Tools to project The Inbox:
> > http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-cmm.733.mcz

> > Name: Tools-cmm.733
> > Author: cmm
> > Time: 6 December 2016, 3:50:06.783172 pm
> > UUID: 46663c9b-de5d-4b65-ae5e-def988146a88
> > Ancestors: Tools-nice.732
> >
> > Smalltalk garbageCollect can sometimes take many minutes,
>
> what?

The Spur GC is not yet mature.  In particular the old space compaction
algorithm that I wrote is poor, and we suspect it has very poor performance
in rare circumstances.  We intend to reimplement asap, certainly before mid
2017.  We also plan to implement an incremental global gc which should
remove the need to run global GC at all except when one needs to know that
everything has been collected now (e.g. the pointer finder).

--
best, Eliot