[squeak-dev] try.squeak.org is in need of some love

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Dec 10 00:26:06 UTC 2016

There’s been an interesting thread on the RaspberryPi forums where I’ve been arguing the benefits of Smalltalk. I tried pointing people to try.squeak.org but it seems they had a lot of problems working out what was going on and what to do. It certainly isn’t the prettiest page I’ve seen and it really doesn’t sell itself well.

I understand the urge to put the minisqueak image up as the first thing because it is so fast to get going, but  it isn’t our best advert. Monochrome, no explanations, no guidance, nothing. Maybe if we made a version that introduced itself better and even provided a way to fire up some of the other examples it could actually replace almost the entire page content?

I also got complaints that attempting to click on any of the other image URLs failed, though no details. They do all seem to work for me, but again , it would be much more attractive if the demo versions were better set up.I was going to point people to http://blackpagedigital.com/squeak/ as well but like phil reported it seems to be dead right now. I know it was working early yesterday because Craig pointed me to it! Can’t get anything out of snowglobe either :-(

tim
Strange OpCodes: CCC: Crash if Carry Clear