[squeak-dev] Graphing weather data

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Dec 21 01:36:16 UTC 2016

Now that I have my Pi based weather station[1] in operation and mounted up on the peak of my garage roof ...

… I need to do something with the data it provides. Sadly the code reading the sensors is in Python (for now!) but it sends it as MQTT packets to a mac-mini running the broker. I’m working with Craig on an MQTT client (very early state on http://www.squeaksource.com/@gWFeIvLx-rTHKE2R/Gtrt3pje) to read it but then what?

Are there any current projects that will work in squeak5.1/spur that can draw nice graphs? What kind of graphs are good for weather data? Should there be chocolate? I guess I ought to store some amount of collected data so maybe it’s time I got to grips with Magma. I’m interested in all ideas that might lead somewhere fun with this. With those ESP8266 wi-fi enabled sorta-arduino things so cheap and easy to set up there must be a gazillion interesting things that could be monitored and analyzed and graphed and indeed actuated in response; let’s not forget that MQTT works both ways.

How about a rain sensor sending a message that its raining (duh) which gets collected and turned into a message to your car to close the sunroof before the velvet seat covers (with painted portrait of Elvis, natch) get wet? Or a strain gauge on your security fence alerting you that something heavier than 20 pounds has climbed over so the remote gatling needs hotting up?

tim
[1] Pi model A+ with gpio attached interface board for rain bucket, wind speed/direction, outdoor temp/humidity, indoor temp, RTC and USB attached Ethernet interface to POE adaptor. WiFi wasn’t practical due to metal roof. Besides, POE means I can hard-reboot by pulling a plug in my server room :-)

Strange OpCodes: IIB: Ignore Inquiry and Branch anyway