[squeak-dev] Graphing weather data

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Wed Dec 21 12:36:55 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 9:36 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> Now that I have my Pi based weather station[1] in operation and mounted up
> on the peak of my garage roof ...
> … I need to do something with the data it provides. Sadly the code reading
> the sensors is in Python (for now!) but it sends it as MQTT packets to a
> mac-mini running the broker. I’m working with Craig on an MQTT client (very
> early state on http://www.squeaksource.com/@gWFeIvLx-rTHKE2R/Gtrt3pje) to
> read it but then what?
>
> Are there any current projects that will work in squeak5.1/spur that can
> draw nice graphs?
>

> What kind of graphs are good for weather data? Should there be chocolate?
> I guess I ought to store some amount of collected data so maybe it’s time I
> got to grips with Magma. I’m interested in all ideas that might lead
> somewhere fun with this. With those ESP8266 wi-fi enabled sorta-arduino
> things so cheap and easy to set up there must be a gazillion interesting
> things that could be monitored and analyzed and graphed and indeed actuated
> in response; let’s not forget that MQTT works both ways.
>
> How about a rain sensor sending a message that its raining (duh) which
> gets collected and turned into a message to your car to close the sunroof
> before the velvet seat covers (with painted portrait of Elvis, natch) get
> wet? Or a strain gauge on your security fence alerting you that something
> heavier than 20 pounds has climbed over so the remote gatling needs hotting
> up?
>

> tim
> [1] Pi model A+ with gpio attached interface board for rain bucket, wind
> speed/direction, outdoor temp/humidity, indoor temp, RTC and USB attached
> Ethernet interface to POE adaptor. WiFi wasn’t practical due to metal roof.
> Besides, POE means I can hard-reboot by pulling a plug in my server room :-)

Probably too tied to Pharo for you, but worth noting Roassal has a good
charting engine...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31543901/AgileVisualization/Grapher/0203-Grapher.html

Maybe parts can be ported to Squeak, but its fairly tied to Athens/Cario
graphics backend of Pharo so I don't know how feasible that is.  The
easiest way to check it out would be via Moose...
http://www.moosetechnology.org/#install

cheers -ben