[squeak-dev] Squeak VM Speed Centre - validity and basis of improvements 5 Dec

Tim Felgentreff timfelgentreff at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 20:33:11 UTC 2016

No, sorry, my bad. There was no change in hardware.

The jumps you are seeing stem from a change in how we report our
measurements. Before, we had scaled all benchmarks to find a number of
iterations that took longer than 600ms on Cog and then reported the time it
took for those to run.

Now we do a first pass to find a number of iterations that take 600ms for
each VM separately each time, and when we report we divide by the number of
iterations. This is, for example, why we are now seeing such low numbers
for simple loops. Before we were reporting something like a few million
iterations, now we still run those millions of iterations, but we then
divide to get the time each iteration took.

I should probably just delete older results, because they are no longer
comparable.

And we are already running Pharo tests, the "nocounters" VM is the exact
same Cog VM running the benchmarks in a Pharo image.

Also, I should update the website to show the image version, too, because
we update that sporadically, too.