[squeak-dev] InputSensor, EventSensor miscategorised?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Feb 1 19:25:50 UTC 2016

Surely class categories are, like method protocols, simply convenience artefacts to aid reader comprehension and finding classes relevant to one’s work?

Using them as a semantic organisation for packages was a simplifying short-cut for Monticello but not a particularly good idea for ‘serious’ package specification.  It wouldn’t (he said, waving appendages wildly) be very hard to revise MC to use a quite separate idea of category names from the browser. We’d need separated browsers for package-viewing and category viewing I guess. Is there anything terribly wrong about having a kernel-collections package that included a class or two from category Collections-Unordered, a few Collections-Processes, something from Compiler-Caches etc? And would that really require that every one of those have all the methods installed? Not to mention that an actual kernel system would require quite a few classes anyway

tim
Mommy!  The cursor's winking at me!