[squeak-dev] Occasional drawing lags in Trunk ... VM issue?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 20:25:58 UTC 2016

Hi Marcel,

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 9:02 AM, marcel.taeumel <Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de>
wrote:

> Hi, there!
>
> As Bert noticed a few weeks ago, fast-drag is kind of slow on MacOS.
>
> Today, I noticed under Windows that there is an occasional, GC-like lag
> when
> resizing windows with non-fast drag.
>
> Here is the Trunk (Cog) with noticable lag:
> http://i.giphy.com/26FPJdlJcZtI6fLO0.gif
>
> Here is 4.6 (Cog) without lag:
> http://i.giphy.com/l4Ki6nefX950k0qre.gif
>
> The drawing code in Morphic has not changed. I suspect an issue in the VM.

You can get information on GC pause times by using the About Squeak
inspector and looking at the information there-in.  [The below isn't
representative, its just what's answered soon after start-up].  Note that
while the timers answered to the image are in milliseconds, the VM uses
microsecond time stamps internally.

Virtual Machine Parameters
--------------------------
#7 0 full GCs since startup
#8 0 total milliseconds in full GCs since startup
#9 33 scavenging GCs since startup
#10 10 total milliseconds in scavenging GCs since startup
#38 0 milliseconds taken by current scavenge
#62 1 compiled code compactions since startup
#63 1 total milliseconds in compiled code compactions since startup

Clearly #38 isn't that useful.  A "milliseconds taken by last full GC"
would be more useful.  I'l put it on the list.

> Best,
> Marcel
>

> --

best, Eliot