[squeak-dev] Rather important bug: corrected source is not saved

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Feb 20 00:58:12 UTC 2016

Using recent 5.0 images - including one updated a day or two ago to 15632 - if I attempt to save a method with a typo the compiler catches it and provides the usual menu of likely options etc. Choosing one, as expected, lets the compile proceed and all seems well.

Except that the code saved to the changes is still wrong! Which means you have code that runs and may pass your tests, but when you save it to pass around it is *wrong*. This is a *really bad thing*. It means you can be confident that code is working and still end up distributing fatal errors!

An original 5.0-15133 image manages to get it right, so who has been mangling the compiler stuff recently? I have a 15566 update image where it goes wrong. And I have a 15603 where it fails, but that’s as precise as I can get now.

tim
Useful random insult:- Suffers from Clue Deficit Disorder.