[squeak-dev] Move Chronology out of Kernel and into its own Chronology package (was: trunk thinks its tomorrow)

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 18:36:23 UTC 2016

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 7:35 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 11:54:44AM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:
>> I have no problem if you want move Chronology classes to their own
>> package (but please do use the "-Core" and "-Tests" suffixes so we
>> don't suffer the prefix selection problem).  I'll be curious whether
>> you choose to move Date and Time too..
>>

> I need some guidance on package naming.
>
> We have packages named 'Kernel' and  'KernelTests', 'Morphic' and
> 'MorphicTests', and 'Collections' and 'CollectionsTests'. Based on
> this, I would expect that 'Chronology' and 'ChronologyTests' would
> be good package names.
>
> Is that right? Or should it instead be 'Chronology-Core' and
> 'Chronology-Tests'?

Note we also have packages named Regex-Core, Regex-Tests,
SqueakSSL-Core, SqueakSSL-Tests, WebClient-Core, WebClient-Tests,
which were (formerly) external packages.  You want to make Chronology
more like an external package, so it can be swapped out more easily.

"-Core" brings a clarity to the core unit's modular boundary, while
being consistent with the number of levels in each package name that
comprises that system.