[squeak-dev] Proposal for a 'category browser' method on Browser class

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Sun Jan 17 19:54:54 UTC 2016

Back story.

If you browse Category 'Kernel-Methods' class CompiledMethod and right click on 'accessing-pragmas & properties' then select 'browse' a Browser appears showing all the methods in that method category;

In some HelpTopic work I am doing, I want to do the same thing within the HelpTopic so the user can do a DoIt and see all the related methods I am discussing.

I hunted around for how the system currently does it and Browser->buildMessageCategoryBrowserEditString: aString does the work.

I am able to duplicate that with

Browser openBrowserView:(
      (Browser new)
             selectSystemCategory: #'Kernel-Methods';
             selectClass: CompiledMethod;
             metaClassIndicated: false;
             selectMessageCategoryNamed: #'accessing-pragmas & properties';
             selectMessageNamed: nil;
             openMessageCatEditString:nil)
       label: 'Message Category Browser (', #'Kernel-Classes' asString, ')'.

While this works, embedding this in a HelpTopic is a bit clunky looking, so I propose adding a wrapper method such as:

Browser openCategoryBrowserFor: #'Kernel-Methods' class: CompiledMethod category:#'accessing-pragmas & properties'