[squeak-dev] Board Candidates Needed

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jan 22 00:05:31 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 12:43:29PM -0500, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> We have 10 days left.  Please feel free to encourage people to run.  Maybe
> do it publically on squeak-dev.
>
> Squeak needs you!!!

I am running for the Squeak Oversight Board this year.

I participate in Squeak as an amateur member of the community. While I
appreciate the value of Squeak as a software development tool, for me that
is not important. I see it as a personal toolbox for exploring ideas and
learning ("computer science in a box").

Some of the things that inspire me are:

- Cuis - for its simplicity and clarity of vision.

- FunSqueak - for reminding us of all the things that Squeak can be.

- Scratch and Etoys - supporting the part of our community that matters the most.

- Spur/Cog - for advancing the leading edge of performance, for making future scalability possible, and for doing it all in open source.

- SqueakJS - for breaking free from old operating systems, for making run anything/run everywhere more possible than ever before.

I plan to continue supporting my own projects (OSProcess, VM team support,
and a few others). As a member of the oversight board I will do my best to
ensure that Squeak is both cutting edge in its new development, and truly
accessible to non-professional Squeakers, kids, and hobby programmers.

Dave