[squeak-dev] Live Coding Demonstration Success!

Kjell Godo squeaklist at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 02:20:46 UTC 2016

Will you be publishing this Package in the SqueakMap or somewhere?
Could this work for other languages like
Haskell to Smalltalk
or
Haskell to C to Smalltalk?
I have thought about trying this but i don't do C or C++
Although i did do a Bank kiosk in TurboC in the 1980s
TuboC was nice     it was good

i got scarred for life trying to use an early
Microsoft C compiler
in the mid 1980s
that was just awrful
people in that class at the UW were dropping like flies
one girl was hiding under one of the tables in the lab on the final day
the professor was getting pretty sick and tired
of getting software handed in that didn't work
so he was giving out zero grades for the class project to anyone
who handed in a class project in Microsoft c
that didn't work
and i can tell you
there were a lot of zeros handed out that day
i think most of us got zeros
even though we worked really hard
using a c compiler that
basically was pretty much just emitting
random sequences of semi executable drivel
i tried using the UNIX C compiler to get it going
and then port it back to
Microsoft c
crashed and burned
out of time
no way hozay
yyyyyyou get zero
well if i was quick
i would have gotten down on all fours
and gone under the table with the girl
she was a jolly Asian girl
at least i could have gotten
a pretty good quip out of the deal

so

i swore off of c
right then and there
i swore off of it
for life
the instant that zero hit
the instant i could see zero coming and my name on it
and no way to dodge it left
just a helpless prisoner of war kneeling in the headlights
with hands behind my head
that moment when you just give up
because haint nothing more you can do
but just get hit
and it's too late to cheat
too late to band together with the cheaters and collaborate
they probably all got zeroed out too anyway for being too similar
or maybe the prof just rolled up his eyes up and over and back and said
caint give every dang one of em a zero today
and i swore that on my death bed i would say
Haint touched it since

but TurboC was pretty good
yeah TurboC was almost Smalltalk like
yeah TurboC was all right
i made a bank kiosk out of
TurboC and TurboProlog
which was noted for being
error free

probably Borland figured that
based on all our heinous experiences with c
that building a C compiler that works
a C compiler that actual works
would be pretty near to a
wide open blue ocean deal