[squeak-dev] OS X-using, Ruby-using guinea pig?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 11:35:59 UTC 2016

On 27 January 2016 at 11:23, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 27.01.2016, at 12:07, Fabio Niephaus <lists at fniephaus.com> wrote:
>
>> I haven't played around much with squeak-ci yet, but does "Squeak VM Opt" even exist?
>> Shouldn't it be just "Squeak"?
>
> well, it depends on the vm app bundle.
> Some use Squeak VM Opt, some use Squeak, some use Croquet.
> I don't know off-hand which uses which.
>
> But indeed, the Cog.app which is used in the process uses "Squeak".
> Nota bene: I don't think we need the copy-vm-to-temp-dir for osx and/or
> travis-ci. This is entirely a jenkins thing.
>

> Frank, I noticed that you started playing around with the squeak-ci repo
> using travis/appveyor.
>         That's great!

Mainly, I wanted to investigate the NuScratch image (reverse
engineering the GPIO FFI) and squeak-ci provides a convenient way of
building/installing whatever VM you want. And then I found that things
were a bit broken on Windows, so figured that AppVeyor would let that
stop happening :) Today (hence my other thread) I remembered that
Travis also run images on OS X, and figured I'd try get that working
too. Also makes keeping an OS X build slave available much easier!

> Yet, IMHO the squeak-ci repo has suffered
> a tad from being bent and bent to make jenkins happy.

Has it been bent & bent? Jenkins doesn't care: it just invokes
scripts, which have all the smarts. Which is exactly what we want,
because it keeps us more or less independent of CI systems, hence more
portable.

> What about a fresh start, probably even using smalltalkCI?
> What about a squeak-smalltalk/squeak repo? Kidding a bit but I actually want to
> be there in some year, don't y'all think?

I don't want want to sound like I _object_ to moving to smalltalkCI -
I don't care what tech we use as long as we're testing Smalltalk
images in a repeatable fashion. So maybe squeak-ci filled a need that
we can now address in other fashions. I don't really know. I wrote it
mainly to run the Squeak base image tests, and then noticed later that
I could test packages too.

I guess the nice thing about squeak-ci is that testing a new package
means adding a how-to-load-a-package script, and how-to-run-the-tests
script, for a package. That package can be hosted in squeaksource,
SS3, GitHub, whatever.

On the other hand smalltalkCI would require the packages to be hosted
on GitHub, wouldn't they? But what's nice is that _the package
maintainer_ bears the burden of making things work in CI. (I suppose
actually that a package maintainer could write a _stub_ GitHub project
that just had a .travis.yml with an install script describing how to
download the package from, say, SS3?)

frank