[squeak-dev] InputSensor, EventSensor miscategorised?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jan 30 00:03:37 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 11:08:34PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 29.01.2016, at 22:28, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > initialize
> >    Environment current bind: #Sensor to: EventSensor.
> >
> > Sound good?
>
> Nope.
>
> You don???t need to do anything special. MVC works fine using EventSensor. In every image ever since Morphic took over, Sensor has been an instance of EventSensor. Only before that it was an instance of InputSensor.
>
> The easiest thing would be to simply move InputSensor into the same package as EventSensor.
>
> Second-easiest would be to do the cleanup Tim suggested and get rid of InputSensor by moving all its still-needed methods to EventSensor and then deleting that class.
>
> Packaging-wise the result would be the same: no InputSensor in the St80 package.
>
> - Bert -

It looks to me like the proposed removal of InputSensor is a tiny project
that was started in 2000 (*) and probably should be brought to completion
one of these days. If we agree that it is a good idea, and if there is no
big time pressure to get it done right away, then I'm interested in doing
the work.

Dave

(*) The accessors for eventQueue are in InputSensor, but the actual instance
variable is already moved to subclass EventSensor. That looks like a work
in progress to me. And I'm always happy to try to polish up something that
Andreas started for us :-)