[squeak-dev] The Trunk: System-eem.835.mcz

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Wed Jul 6 07:23:45 UTC 2016

On 06.07.2016, at 08:17, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 10:21 PM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> On 06.07.2016, at 01:13, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
>
> > Eliot Miranda uploaded a new version of System to project The Trunk:
> > http://source.squeak.org/trunk/System-eem.835.mcz

> > Name: System-eem.835
> > Author: eem
> > Time: 5 July 2016, 6:13:25.980763 pm
> > UUID: 44354df1-cecb-414c-a705-daa84b7388dd
> > Ancestors: System-eem.834
> >
> > Fix reading methods from DataStreams on Spur.  Old code used pre-Spur numLits header format, and was not 64-bit aware.
> >

> Does that mean that pre-Spur methods on datastreams cannot be read in Spur images?
> That would be a bummer…
>
> It needs some kind of version stamp on the stream.  Point me to some such and we can switch hit.

There is none.
I would say, we store the data in the format DataStream already know (which happens to be
the Pre-Spur version) and adapt on read. That would ensure backward- and forward-compatibility:

- We could still read CMs serialized in pre-spur.
- We could also read Spur-CMs in pre-spur images.

Ok. -- break --
I just realized that what you changed was the read part. so no
problem here. We could change the part to do things differently
when running on spur or non-spur.

Best regards
	-Tobias