[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] The Squeak Shell

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Mon Jul 11 12:16:10 UTC 2016

Thank you.

---- On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 06:44:28 -0400 marcel.taeumel <Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de> wrote ----

gettimothy wrote
> Does this lay the groundwork towards a Linux Terminal "(SQ)REPL" interface
> to a headless VM?
>
> Should this be the place to start such a project?
>
> thx.
>
> tty

Hi Timothy,

if you would replace event access (SqshControlManager) and screen output
(FormCanvas), sure. For a non-pixel output, you might want to also move the
(text) cursor. I did try to use stdin and stdout, but it is blocking for an
empty input. At least on my Windows machnine. Maybe telnet could work.

Once, we did a student's project called "SqueakREPL". They used telnet, I
guess, and also managed to provie an interactive debugger. Not sure,
however, how close to the base system they remained and whether there are
many dependencies on Morphic.

For other headless apps, which do not necessarily require the flexibility of
a command line, an even smaller kind of project would be sufficient. See
SqshProject.

Best,
Marcel