[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] The Squeak Shell

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Tue Jul 12 13:21:09 UTC 2016

Dale Henrichs-3 wrote
> Marcel,
>
> Very Cool!
>
> However, whenever I see a Smalltalk shell where folks are typing
> Smalltalk into the REPL I cringe, because Smalltalk is not really a
> scripting language ... but I think that having scripts written in
> Smalltalk and callable from a shell is a real interesting idea.
>
> In tODE[2] I allow folks to create scripts written Smalltalk that can be
> called from a command line and it is a very simple idea ... The
> Smalltalk script is simply a block.
>
> Here's an example script[1] that is callable from a command line that
> looks like one of the following:
>
>    bug --help
>    bug --install
>    bug --clean --create--boom; edit
>

> A command object is passed in from the command line parser and the
> command options are turned into a `opts` Dictionary with option names as
> keys and option values as values ...
>
> Instead of stdin and stout being byte streams, the stdin and stdout for
> Smalltalk scripts are objects (objIn and objOut) --- the objIn arg in
> the block is the objIn for the script, basically the result of the last
> command.
>
> The edit command above brings up an inspector on the result of the
> script ...
>
> For tODE the script object (block) can be registered in the Smalltalk
> image itself or the script object can be written to disk[4] in STON[3]
> format --- making the script easily callable from multiple images ...
>
> I can share the command/option/argument code if you are interested ...
> adding Smalltalk scripts to your REPL should be very straightforward ...
>
> Dale
>
> [1] https://gist.github.com/dalehenrich/97f2befe07ad7bf928165a3fc64a2118
> [2]
> https://github.com/dalehenrich/tode#tode-the-object-centric-development-environment-
> [3] https://github.com/svenvc/ston#ston---smalltalk-object-notation
> [4] https://gist.github.com/dalehenrich/be9e7cd439eb5a5a0d9e937cc0a04f86
>
> On 07/08/2016 07:17 AM, marcel.taeumel wrote:
>> Hi, there!
>>
>> I am happy to announce a new kind of project for Squeak: "The Squeak
>> Shell".
>> :-)
>>
>> You can install it into any trunk image via:
>>
>> Installer swa
>>     project: 'SqueakShell';
>>     install: 'SqueakShell'.
>>
>> Then you will find a new kind of project under Projects -> New Project
>>
>> The Squeak Shell is independent from Morphic and MVC. It's architecture
>> is,
>> partially, a mixture of both. :-D I wanted to keep it as simple as
>> possible
>> while avoiding global state as much as possible.
>>
>> My goal is to add it to trunk to simplify modularization of MVC and
>> Morphic.
>> For example, we have to extract UserInputEvent and Canvas from Morphic
>> into
> [...]

Hi Dale,

thanks. Yeah, right now, the Squeak Shell is no scripting environment. There
is accessible concept of object streams. This, however, was not the goal
here. :-)

If I would want to introduce object streams and improve Squeak's scripting
capabilities (wrt. to the Squeak Shell), I would subclass SqshCommandLine
and add simple ways to connect blocks or do other things as you suggested.
The SqshCommandLine right now only evaluates code, supports bindings, and
has some shortcuts (beginning with !). And there is some navigation in the
object space with ! and !!.

Best,
Marcel