[squeak-dev] OpenWeatherMap.org api?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jul 14 01:38:05 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 05:35:32PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> Thanks Frank,
>
> > On 13-07-2016, at 2:25 PM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 13 July 2016 at 11:24, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> > I don???t suppose anyone has already written stuff to connect to www.openweathermap.org site?
> {snip}
> > It's not Squeak, but here's a blog post describing how to do it with F#: http://evelinag.com/blog/2014/09-15-introducing-ariadne/journal/WeatherData.html
>
> OK, so for some reason that made me think of Json, which reminded about a mail a few days ago on the "Re: rice paper background in trunk? ??? thread that mentioned loading a package called JSON. So I installed it and to my surprise
> `Json readFrom: (WebClient httpGet: ???http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.1/find/name?q=Nanaimo,CA') content readStream`
> returned a completely plausible result. Cool! Quick, I must add ???JSon expertise??? to my LinkedIn page :-)
>
> Now all I need to do is develop a little understanding of what on earth it is all about. Pointers to very, very, basic doc appreciated.

Back in the old days, we used to have to hire really expensive smart
people called "consultants" to answer questions like this. Not any more,
in the modern era the consultants are gone and we can just look it up on
the internet(*)

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON

(*) Tim, for deeper insight into the true significance of internet dependency,
be sure to watch the South Park riff on Steinbeck's classic "The Grapes of Wrath"
at http://watchcartoonsonline.eu/watch/south-park-s12-e6-logging/