[squeak-dev] Re: The Inbox: Compiler-cmm.179.mcz

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Jun 1 15:21:37 UTC 2016

Hi Chris,

I would call this rather "different" than "improved". I think that we would
benefit from a configurable pretty printer. There are a bunch of acceptable
Smalltalk code styles out there. There is no such thing as the one best
formatting.

For example, I do prefer this style

somePredicate
   ifTrue: [
      something.
      something]
   ifFalse: [
      something.
      something].

... over this style:

somePredicate
   ifTrue:
      [ something.
      something ]
   ifFalse:
      [ something.
      something ].

Or something like that. Too much spaces. Complicated position of
parentheses. I can come up a number of reasons. Hence, I think that there
are many Smalltalkers out there, that also have their own style.

Sometimes this seems even more readable:

somePredicate
   ifTrue: [something. something]
   ifFalse: [something. something].

Sure, we have some official books that suggest some code formatting.
Personally, I would prefer a configure system where I can read and write the
code in the way I feel most productive. :-)

Just my two cents.

Best,
Marcel