[squeak-dev] re: Formatting?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Jun 2 19:11:01 UTC 2016

> On 02-06-2016, at 10:45 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> From a _reviewer's_ standpoint, I don't care about the author's personal preference. What is far more important is being able to see not the whitespace changes, but the actual meat of the matter. Review tools typically let you ignore whitespace changes, but since we use email as a review tool, we can make the reviewers' lives far easier if we pick _a_ layout convention, and the old & new versions are printed in the same way.

Isn’t the ‘prettydiff’ that pretty-prints both versions and diffs those a suitable solution? It seems to work reasonably well to me though I’m sure it could do still more. The obvious advantage is that it splits up code fairly thoroughly and makes it easy to see the actual difference; the disadvantage is sometimes in working out where that maps to in your carefully hand-mangled layout.

tim
New: It comes in different colors from the previous version.