[squeak-dev] Formatting?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 19:23:43 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 9:25 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> {snipping lots}
> > On 02-06-2016, at 8:19 AM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote:
> >

> >>   braceAtTheEndOfLine ifTrue: [
> >>        (this isA: #Monstrosity) because:
> >>               blocks are objects not syntax].
> >
> > This is absolutely personal preference, but I prefer to have blocks have
> > similar syntax as methods, because that makes it easier to read code.
> > This means that the first line, which contains the opening bracket and
> the argument names, is far less important than what the block does, so it's
> perfectly okay to leave it on the previous line.
>
> So I think you mean
>         coll do: [:each|
>                 statement.
>                 argument.
>                 resolution].
> … which is pretty much how I prefer things.

No.  That puts the start of the block to the right of the first line of the
block.  That's not rectangular at all.  i.e. "statement" is to the left of
"[:each|".  It should be

        coll do:
               [:each|
                statement.
                argument.
                resolution].

Here, all the text of the block is included in the recangle formed by
"[:each|" and "resolution]".

> We should be very careful about discussing this. I don’t think anything
> causes more annoyance, hard feeling, lost friendships, broken communities,
> lost projects and global war than syntactic debates.

Understood.  Bt Kent gives v good rationale for all elements of his style
guide, and one way of avoiding conflicts over formatting is to have and
observe as much as possible, and support with tools, a house style.

--
best, Eliot