[squeak-dev] International text input on X11

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Thu Jun 2 20:42:46 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 12:50 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> I tried to set my Pi as specified and it didn’t go all that well. I think we may need *much* more thorough instructions for us non-non-en speakers …
>

>> On 01-06-2016, at 7:13 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org> wrote:
>> {snip}
>> If you have a spare Raspian installation, you can do the following:
>> (But I am writing this from my memory, so it may not be exactly
>> correct. Sorry).
>>
>> - From raspi-config, go to the "Internationalisation Options" and add
>> ja_JP.UTF8.
>
> OK, no problem
>>
>> - From terminal install a few things:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install ibus
>> sudo apt-get install ibus-anthy
>
> Had to do that twice since the first time complained about problems configuring the ‘anthy’ tool
>

>> This will add a new menu item to the Raspian menu.  IIRC, you need to
>> "add language" and select Japanese from the ibus configuration menu.
>
> The only new item I could find was the ibus config under the preferences heading. This tool did not seem to have any option to set Japanese at first; it was only after rebooting that it became available.
>

>> - Add the following lines to .bashrc
>>  export LANG=ja_jp.UTF8
>>  export LC_ALL=$LANG
>>  export LANGUAGE=$LANG
>>
>> close X, do something like ". .bashrc" and restart X.  You should see
>> that Raspian menus are shown in Japanese.  (You can still start
>> raspi-config later and remove Japanese, so don't panic)
>
> After rebooting *some* of the menu text was rendered in nasty unicode-block form rather than Japanese or anything that might look like it to my untrained eyes.

Ah... I'm sorry to forgot to mention:

apt-get install ttf-kochi-gothic xfonts-intl-japanese
xfonts-intl-japanese-big xfonts-kaname

to add extra fonts.

>> - Start Scratch, activate ibus from the ibus icon in the Raspian menu
>> (choose Japanese/日本語), click on somewhere such as the sprite name
>> field.
>> - type in some strings with enough vowels in it.  Hit enter and
>> composed characters should go into the text field.
>
> Nah, no luck there. Nothing happened that could pass for an extra window opening up.
> A `ps aux | grep ibus` shows the ibus daemon appears to be running.

Ok.  One test is to launch the web browser and put the keyboard focus
on the search field on google or something.  Then click on the ibus
menu in the Raspbian title bar.  If you have a choice to input
Japanese there, ibus is ready to handle it.

Sorry again that I don't have the pi handy right now.  If it does not
resolve tomorrow, I'll make some screenshots to explain it.