[squeak-dev] Re: Impossible to grab the scroll bar in the Transcript if...

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Sun Jun 5 05:44:05 UTC 2016

Bert Freudenberg wrote
>> On 25.03.2016, at 19:28, tim Rowledge <

> tim@

> > wrote:
>>

>>> On 25-03-2016, at 7:56 AM, Bert Freudenberg <

> bert@

> > wrote:
>>>

>>> There are actually two problems that look very similar but are
>>> unrelated:
>>>
>>> (1) grips on top of the text morph
>>>
>>> In a 5.0 image, the text morph is behind the grips. Apparently this has
>>> been fixed in the mean time, in Trunk it looks fine. This is obviously
>>> independent of platform.
>>>
>>> (2) window “grip” on Mac
>>>
>>> On a Mac, the VM provides a similar “grip” for the full Squeak window,
>>> which makes it impossible to click in the lower left and right corners.
>>>
>>> So (1) appears to be fixed in trunk and (2) can not be fixed because
>>> it’s the same in all Mac apps. I’d say we’re good.
>>
>> I know this hardly ever happens, but Bert is right :-O
>
> Well, almost. I just noticed that in the 5.0 All-in-One-VM the Mac corner
> grip is visible, and *only* affects the lower right window corner:
>

> ... whereas in a 5.0.3602 Spur VM the grips are invisible and in both
> lower-left and lower-right corners.
>
> Is this a difference between Carbon and Cocoa VMs, maybe?
>
> - Bert -
>

> PastedGraphic-1.png (7K)
> <http://forum.world.st/attachment/4886719/0/PastedGraphic-1.png>
> smime.p7s (5K)
> <http://forum.world.st/attachment/4886719/1/smime.p7s>

Hi, there.

In Windows 10, the grab handles are outside the (resp. adjacent to) windows
and reside in the drop shadow. Since there are no window borders anymore in
Windows 10, the window contents would otherwise overlap with the grips. This
holds also for the corner grips.

I think we should also move our grips to the outside if SystemWindow borders
are too small. The only draw back would be that full-screen windows cannot
be resized anymore. Should they anyway? Maximized means maximized. :-)

Best,
Marcel