[squeak-dev] International text input on X11

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Jun 6 17:35:19 UTC 2016

So, some good news at last.

> On 03-06-2016, at 11:36 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org> wrote:
>
> Let us try it with environment variables LC_ALL and LANG to be en_GB.UTF8 first.
>
> export LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF8
> export LANG=$LC_ALL
>
> (and reboot.)  You should see menus in English (again)

I actually had to reset the locale in raspi-config to get it clean. Do we have the same OS version? I have `uname -a` returning 4.4.9-v7+ #884 SMP Fri May 6 etc

> With ibus installed, you should see something like
> 'raspi-menu' (http://tinlizzie.org/~ohshima/ibus/raspi-menu.png):
> there should be ibus Preferences item there.  Pick that
> one.

Almost; I had to choose a plain ‘Japanese’ entry, add it and then choose an input method for it before I could see anything to do with ‘anthy’. Once that was ok I could use the menubar icon to choose input method and at last I get a pop-up composition window. Hooray!

Of course, it could be inserting Elvish or Klingon (please tell me somebody has made a Klingon input method…) for all I know.

If we want to make this accessible we’re going to need a much more precise description of what to do, or better yet a script.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Furnulum pani nolo = I don't want a toaster.