[squeak-dev] Re: Mouse Wheel Events, "Point and scroll-by-wheel"

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Jun 8 15:03:02 UTC 2016

Bert Freudenberg wrote
> On 07.06.2016, at 08:25, marcel.taeumel <

> Marcel.Taeumel@

> > wrote:
>>
>> Chris Muller-3 wrote
>>> It makes scrolling very choppy.  Instead of scrolling by 3-lines at a
>>> time, it scrolls by about 10...
>>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> there should be no change in the observable behavior by this change.
>
> I like being able to point-and-scroll inactive windows very much.
>
> But if we are not using keyboard events anymore, we should switch to
> smooth scrolling, right? Like that legendary one-line change Dan did at
> Steve’s PARC visit to change from line-based to pixel-based scrolling?
> Wonder how many lines of code it takes us ;)
>
> - Bert -
>

> smime.p7s (5K)
> <http://forum.world.st/attachment/4899870/0/smime.p7s>

Hi Bert,

sure, it is a one-liner. Just change PluggableListMorph >>
#scrollDeltaHeight. ... and PluggableTextMorph >> #scrollDeltaHeight. :-)
Return 1 instead of the font height. You might want to call this then:

ScrollPane allSubInstancesDo: [:ea | ea vSetScrollDelta].

However, using a regular mouse with a non-free wheel (i.e., one that has
"clicks"), this would make scrolling very cumbersome.

So, if you had real touch/swipe events and could do kinetic scrolling...
this would we very cool. :)

Best,
Marcel