[squeak-dev] Touchscreen events and non-blocking file I/O (was Re: Mouse Wheel Events, "Point and scroll-by-wheel")

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Jun 8 17:05:07 UTC 2016

On 06/08/2016 11:03 AM, marcel.taeumel wrote:
> So, if you had real touch/swipe events and could do kinetic scrolling...
> this would we very cool. :)

I've previously tried to read touchscreen events on Linux from
/dev/input/event*, but ran into trouble because the Squeak VMs I tried
all treat "file I/O" as blocking - that is, bytes will be immediately
available, or end-of-file will be immediately available.

This is, of course, not true for /dev/input/event* ! Reading from such
files is much more like reading from a socket.

Does any kind of plugin or overlooked primitive exist that'd allow for
non-blocking reads from /dev/input/event* pseudofiles?

Tony