[squeak-dev] trunk IDE has become sluggish

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Jun 9 18:47:51 UTC 2016

> On 08-06-2016, at 9:30 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>
> I’ll post my initial setup script tomorrow sometime.

Try out this as a general setup -
using ‘raspi-config’, set your locale/tz/etc, as well as setting a host name, enabling ssh and i2c and SPI interfaces. And the camera if you bought one. Which you should, since taking selfies with Scratch is cool.

basic packages I find useful -
`sudo apt-get install netatalk libnss-mdns xrdp i2c-tools`

development tools -
`sudo apt-get install  libX11-dev uuid-dev libcairo2-dev libpango1.0-dev autoconf libasound2-dev libssl-dev`

save some space -
`sudo apt-get remove wolfram-engine`
- to get rid of wolfram, 450Mb and a broken init script issue

I use NFS to connect to my iMac;  it seems faster and more usable than samba for my usage. IF you want to do that just let me know and I can send my nfs setup recipe.

Oh, yes, curses. As in stupid X11 default cursor is stupid.
edit .xsessionrc (creating if required) with `nano .xsessionrc`
add
"xsetroot  -cursor_name left_ptr&"

`chmod a+x .xsessionrc`
reboot to get proper cursor in X instead of a big ugly X

Getting a working Squeak is as simple as downloading the all-in-one, though the cog vm in /usr/lib/squeak is possibly newer.

I use microsoft’s remote desktop client on my iMac to save having a separate display, although I do have one Pi with an official 7” touchscreen on one side and three Pi-TopCEED machine arriving soon for classes.

tim
Great leaders inspire by example. When that's not an option, brute intimidation works pretty well.