[squeak-dev] Improved rendering of our "Bitmap DejaVu Sans"

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Jun 10 16:50:23 UTC 2016

> On 10-06-2016, at 5:10 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote:
> I prefer Juan's version, because it's free of aliasing artifacts, which are clearly visible and are quite annoying in freetype's output.
>
> I agree Juan's looks more crisp, but also more delicate. Tobi's version appears stronger, so to me it improves the overall readability.

Unfortunately on my iMac screen viewing the Pi via xrdp it makes for an effect a little like the old vga lcd screens when the contrast setting wouldn’t quite work. It’s survivable but not ideal for this case; I like the more visible small punctuation but prefer the crispness of the old version.

Whilst looking through the other fonts available for comparison I was little disappointed at how most of them look. I think we’re in a hard spot right now since some machines (Pi, old laptops etc) have relatively low resolution display capabilities (although Pi can manage ~2000@~1500 kind of size) whereas nice new iMacs do ~5000 at 3000. That’s always going to be a pain to cover with bitmap fonts. Maybe we might provide for larger screen/faster machines to actually use anti-aliased fonts via Pango?

tim
Computer and car salesmen differ in that the latter know when they are lying.