[squeak-dev] Re: Improved rendering of our "Bitmap DejaVu Sans"

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Sun Jun 12 10:58:20 UTC 2016

On Sat, 11 Jun 2016, marcel.taeumel wrote:

> Chris Muller-3 wrote
>> Agree with everything written in this thread from the pictures.  Now
>> I've just updated and, upon working with it for just a short time, I
>> must admit I'm struggling with the boldness and seeming lack of
>> crispness..
>>
>> It reminds me of an old typewriter when the ink was getting low.
>> Observe the riser of the lowercase d, how light it is relative to its
>> bottom half..
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Herbert König <
>
>> herbertkoenig@
>
>> > wrote:

>>> Same here on my laptop 17'' 1600 by 900, maybe I feel different on my HD
>>> Monitor which I'll see again in a week.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Herbert
>>>

> I probed some colors of our previous thinner DejaVu Sans rendering, and if
> you render black text, there are no black pixels in it. The darkest I could
> find was (0 0 9) in RGB. Most of them where (16 16 17), (24 12 16), or even
> brighter. I know that this is related to subpixel-AA but this explains my
> concerns about contrast. Sure, if you render black text on white background,
> you got used to not seeing black pixels at all. You can still produce a
> similar effect by changing black text color to the values mentioned above.

I doubt anyone would be annoyed by the contrast improved. The aliasing
effect is what people don't want to see.
Please take a look at this picture again:
http://forum.world.st/attachment/4900350/0/fonts.png .
The vertical aliasing is just bad. I picked the E because it's easy to see
it on that letter, but all letters have the same problem.

Levente