[squeak-dev] State-of-the-art in Android VMs?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 19:50:29 UTC 2016

Hi Tony,

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Tony Garnock-Jones <tonyg at ccs.neu.edu>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Are there any modern VMs that can run on Android (ideally 4.3.1 or so,
> which I have on my tablet)?

The Cog ARM VM does run on Android, but only if compiled without
"-march=armv6 -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=hard", which are flags that we use to
build the Linux ARM VM for Rasperry Pi.  So if you'd like a VM, and are
willing to build one yourself, check-out
http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog, cd
to build.linux32ARM/squeak.cog.spur/, edit the mvm scripts in the build*
subdirectories, and issue "makeallclean", and find VMs built in
products/cogspurlinuxhtARM

> Googling for it finds much confusion and many defunct projects with
> broken download links.

Sorry.  We're on the verge f transitioning to github and once that's
complete we should be able to rationalise and organise all of this and
eliminate the cruft.

best, Eliot