[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] Moving the Cog subversion repository to githup at 2016-6-16 7am UTC

Tim Felgentreff timfelgentreff at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 08:24:12 UTC 2016

Hi all,

as of 7:30 UTC the entire history of the SVN up to SVN revision 3745 was
migrated to GitHub. Automatic builds are running (
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/timfel/vm/branch/Cog,
https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/vm) and binary artifacts are uploaded (
https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/_latestVersion#files).

Right now we have enabled all platform, object memory and bytecode set
combinations that I found build scripts for - most work, but OS X 64-bit
Sista is failing right now (32-bit works). At some point we'll have to
decide which combinations to put into the CI config as "allowed failures"
to get a green badge :)

Another thing for those not familiar with Git: Right now the entire
repository is 360MB, including all history. Most of that is old images that
were at one point committed to SVN and that have been pulled into the
repository. We could clean those out (removing them from the history) to
make the repository smaller, but I felt ~400MB is still ok (albeit
technically over the Github quota. We'll see of they complain). I would
like to ask everyone to stop committing large binary files into the
repository, however. Git is simply not very suited to dealing with
binaries. If there is a need for that, Github has support for git-lfs,
which offers 1GB of free storage with a 1GB bandwith limit per month. If we
need more, we can look at the different billing levels.

If you're familiar with Git, the only new thing to watch out for is the
updateSCSSVersions script as described in the README. It's not relevant for
the CI, but your own binaries will only show correct versions if this
script runs at appropriate times.

If you are not familiar with Git and don't care, there are scripts for
committing that should take care of everything as described in the README.
Again, let us know if anything doesn't work. The only difference vs SVN to
watch out for for you will be that the old scripts/svnci would commit your
changes to the server, whereas the scripts/gitci script only commits them
locally. You'll have to run `git pull` and `git push` to get them up to the
server.

If you have any questions regarding the repository setup please don't
hesitate to ask. You shouldn't be able to break anything, since we've
disabled force pushes to both master and Cog (and thus any chance of
destroying history).

Thanks,
Tim & Fabio