[squeak-dev] Fetch zip file from web, unzip, save constituent parts?

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Fri Jun 17 19:03:07 UTC 2016

On 17.06.2016, at 20:49, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

>> On 17-06-2016, at 10:54 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>>

>> That works better, thanks. It also helps if you have the ssl plugin working, as I discovered while trying this out on my iMac instead of the Pi. So that means I have to see if it even gets built on a Pi…
>
> Looks like the ssl plugin is indeed built and used on my Pi but fails somehow. The ssl tests all claim to succeed though.
>
> The error is reported in the stdout stream as
> 1996092684:error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol:s23_clnt.c:795:
>
> It appears to be a fairly common issue in some manner (quite a lot of google results) but I have no experience at all with ssl and so on. Can’t find any of the plausible looking words in the vm sources so far. That’s going to make it interesting to try catching in gdb.
>
> Oh, and actually I see Chris M reported the same error last July so at least it’s nothing I’ve recently caused...

Mea culpa, maybe.

The State of SqueakSSL is not satisfying but in the last month I hadn't
had enough time on my hand to delve in to the pit that Proper SSL is (hint: it's a mess).

I had prepared SqueakSSL binaries for Linux[1] that are linked statically agains LibreSSL
(To avoid the Linux equivalent of DLL hell: different .so-names for RedHat/Centos and Debian-based systems).
There, the SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol: error does not show.
Alas, these are x86 (32bit) only, yet, and integrating this thing into the main vm generation process
posed as hard for me. I'll tackle that again.

Also, there are 2..3 bugs in WebClient[2] and the image-Part of SqueakSSL.
Also, verification only really works on Windows.

Please keep poking me.

Best regards
	-Tobias

[1]: https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeakssl/releases