[squeak-dev] NuScratch source on SqueakMap

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Fri Jun 24 20:38:48 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 1:26 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Yoshiki,
>
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 12:54 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org>
> wrote:

>> > {snip}

>> > Except that with the git based builds it looks like we are moving to a
>> > somewhat different numbering sequence and so comparing any possible old
>> > copies with new ones is going to become harder. For example, a freshly built
>> > Pi vm is tagged as 5.0-201606241150 (ie the date/time)
>>
>> Oh... That is interesting.  If the squeak VM package for the next
>> release of Raspian follows this new scheme, is it true that we'd only
>> have to support this format?  Or people may install or keep older
>> versions and we'd better support both?
>

> The VM is backward compatible (at least for Spur, which I think is the only
> format NuScratch has been released in) so there's no need to maintain older
> versions.  A current VM should work.  And with a little bit of trickery in
> the launch script one could have it update the VM at suitable times, for
> example when a serious VM bug is identified and fixed, or a significant
> performance increase has been achieved.

Thanks for chiming in.  The matter is more about to write shell script
that can find the latest VM when multiple ones are installed.  My
first attempt was to search in /usr/lib/squeak, sort entries and pick
the one with the biggest number (which used to be the svn revision
number).  I'm thinking to add two step detection; if the scheme that
is based on the yyyymmdd format does not turn up a VM, we then search
the older style version-revision VM in /usr/lib/squeak.

--
-- Yoshiki