[Pharo-dev] [squeak-dev] The .changes file should be bound to a single image

Max Leske maxleske at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 13:57:51 UTC 2016

> [...]
>>> It just works.

>>> There must be a problem somewhere, otherwise Max would not be raising
>>> the issue. So whatever combination of operating system and image is
>>> having a problem, I would be inclined fix that.
>>
>> :) Thanks Dave!
>>

>>> Windows cannot be a problem, because the operating system will not
>>> permit you to open the changes file twice. The Unix/Linux systems that
>>> I have used all work fine.
>>>
>>> Max, which operating system/VM/image are you using? Is this on a Mac?
>>
>> Mac OS X 10.11.5,
>> Pharo 6 (60086)
>>

>>> Dave
>>>

>> I actually didn???t open the issue for myself but because of a student who ran into this. I???ve been in the same situation before but I???m an experienced user while students at the research group sometimes just spend a couple of weeks with Pharo and then such things are a real problem.
>>
>> Interestingly the issue is, as you already suggested, pretty hard to reproduce i.e., modifying arbitrary methods in both images did not show the symptoms I was looking for.
>>
>> Here???s a reproducible case (at least on my machine):
>>
>> 1. create a new method in both images:
>>
>> foo
>> 	^ nil
>>
>> 2. Modify it in one image:
>>
>> foo
>> "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."
>> 	^ nil + 1
>>
>> 3. Modify it in the other image:
>>
>> foo
>> 	^ nil - 1 isEmpty ifTrue: [ "blah" nil ]
>>

> Confirmed on Linux + Squeak.
>
> I did your test above using #forkSqueak so that I had two identical images
> sharing the same changes file. In each image, I saved the #foo method. At
> that point, the changes file conntained exactly what I would expect.
>
> I then did a save and exit from the child image, followed by a save and exit
> from the original image. I can see that the changes from the child image are
> now overwriting the changes from the original parent image. Since the
> parent image is the one that was saved last, its #foo method now has
> corrupted source.
>
> This is not a scenario that I have ever encountered, but I can see how
> it might happen in a classroom setting.
>
> I can't look into this further right now, but it seems possible that the
> problem happens only when saving the image, in which case we could force
> the changes file to seek to end of file before doing the save. But we'll
> need to do some more testing to make sure that this is the only scenario

Great, thanks.

In the scenario I described I did not save either image. Of course, without saving the problem will not exist as soon as you start the image anew (the old pointers are still valid and new content will be written to the end). The problem does exhibit itself without saving though.

Since this is not anything critical, don’t put too much effort into it. I’ll have time in a couple of weeks to look at it in detail and then, once we understand the problem, we can discuss possible solutions.

Cheers,
Max