[squeak-dev] Green builds on Github

Max Leske maxleske at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 10:11:58 UTC 2016

> On 26 Mar 2016, at 15:01, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>
> On 25.03.2016, at 18:51, Max Leske <maxleske at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just wanted to let you know that the Github builds are now all green (since now the DateAndTime issue in Squeak has been fixed), i.e.
>>
>> Pharo-alpha, Pharo 5.0, Pharo 4.0,
>> Squeak-trunk, Squeak-4.6, Squeak-4.5
>>
>> on both OS X and Linux.
>>

>> See for yourself here: https://github.com/theseion/Fuel.
>
> Awesome! I noticed the build steps for Squeak look more complicated than the ones for Pharo:
>
> https://github.com/theseion/Fuel/blob/master/scripts/jenkins.sh
>
> Why is that? Is there something we can do to make it simpler?

That’s what Tobias asked me :) With TravisCI the build setup is the same. For the other builds I had to hack some things:
- older versions of Squeak don’t work with Metacello
- there’s a problem with Installer (at least in older versions) where the communication with Smalltalkhub fails because of the MIME type (x-monticello)
- I’m grabbing the images from the FTP server (you didn’t have a CI server then yet). To do that I have to perform all kinds of shell-fu and the steps are a little different between some versions (e.g. where is the latest build, where is the .sources file, where do I get the correct VM etc.).

Using TravisCI for the new builds is great. However, I had to disable the older builds on the INRIA CI because they kept failing (mostly due to problems with the FTP server). It would be great if I could get better access to those files. On the other hand, I think I’ll just put copies of those files into the Github repository, since the old builds won’t change anymore (that’s Squeak 4.1 through 4.4).

So, short answer: no, you don’t need to change things, at least not for the Fuel builds.

Thanks for asking.

Cheers,
Max