[squeak-dev] International text input on X11

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Thu May 5 21:34:07 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Yoshiki,

>>> Oh, it’s absolutely clear for the Pi; Cog/Spur. The ancient original MIT image and an elderly interpreter are kept around for emergency use but will not be updated.
>>
>> Okay!
>>
>> By any chance, can you tell me how you test things? for Raspberry Pi?
>
> A Pi is cheap enough that one can simply buy one.  The new 64-bit one runs 32-bit binaries and is significantly faster than a pi2.  As far as testing, one can either connect a display via hdmi and a mouse & keyboard via usb, or use VNC.  There's a guide to setup of raspbian and of the VNC server on raspberrypi.org.

Sorry for posing a vague question...  I do have a couple of Pis (Pi
and Pi2, but not Pi3), and have done some graphics stuff in C over
SSH.  So I invoke my program from a shell running emacs on an SSH
session and things appear on a display connected to a Pi.  But I have
not tried VNC there.  I haven't done any real Squeak stuff on Pi and
for Pi; if running Squeak on Pi and interacting with it over VNC is
reasonably fast, I'd go with that path.  But this one involves some C
programs and if people does some cross compiling more on a host
computer, that is also an interesting option.

--
-- Yoshiki