[squeak-dev] Re: The Trunk: System-mt.826.mcz

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Mon May 9 15:59:40 UTC 2016

Hi Chris,

this does not compare with Object >> inspect. I called it "debug it" because
it is the thing you that happens when you click "debug it" somewhere.

We could, however, implement String >> #debugIt and return the debuggers
system window. But even then, process scheduling will usually not allow you
to process the result.

This somewhat compares with all the things in ToolSet and StandardToolSet.
As you can see, they all return the result of the delegated call. For
example, StandardToolSet >> #browse:selector:.

With the return here, new kinds of projects can use some basic means of
debugging an expression, which is merely an evaluation of it. Therefore the
return.

---

Anyway, you can always call #model on the result of, for example, "Morph new
inspect" to get the model. :-)

Speaking of return values, I find it not good that Browser >>
#openBrowserView:label: does not return the "browser view", which would be a
morph in Morphic, but the model. This makes it very difficult to find the
thing that was created as the view.

---

Of course, all these things affect only IDE developers. Users usually do-it
things. Then, the return value does not matter at all.

Best,
Marcel