[squeak-dev] Re: Event filters for user input events (i.e. mouse clicks etc.)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed May 18 16:12:49 UTC 2016

> On 17-05-2016, at 1:32 PM, marcel.taeumel <Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
>
> Hi, there.
>
> I just noticed that event filters include the whole event listener
> functionality. If filters always return false, they behave like listeners.
> Plus, any morph can have its own set of filters attached.

I was about to mention that. It would make reasonable sense to replace the listeners with filters, assuming a tolerable legacy api can be supported.

I’m not sure about having the filters work only on copies of events though. Seems to me that a significant part of the potential usefulness would be to have filters transform events either in the geometric sense of altering coordinates etc or in changing the other details (convert a Leap Motion input event coming in via socket into a mouse event, stuff like that) or even just dropping it entirely because it is a MouseEventForLockedDemo. Another use would be a fake event filter that reads lists of x/y/button and transforms into ‘real’ events as a way to handle recorded event stream for playback.

tim
Useful random insult:- His page was intentionally left blank.