[squeak-dev] microsecondClockValue

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon May 23 17:37:42 UTC 2016

Hi All,

    I see that access to the microsecond clock is called
"microsecondClockValue".  This name is wrong. It derives from
millisecondClockValue which was indeed a value. The millisecond clock
started from zero on every image startup and wrapped around every 45 days
or so.  The microsecond clock is quite different; it is an absolute clock
whose zero is midnight on January 1st 1901, the start of the 20th century
(damn those monks). So "Value" should be omitted from the selector.  In
Squeak we provide both Time utcMicrosecondClock and Time
localMicrosecondClock which provide the number of microseconds since the
start of 1/1/1901 in utc and local time zones respectively.  It wraps round
no sooner than 24/4/20168 (/not/ 2168).  Time millisecondClockValue is
provided for backward compatibility.

best, Eliot