[squeak-dev] microsecondClockValue

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon May 23 19:43:23 UTC 2016

Hi Tobias,

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 23.05.2016, at 19:37, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> >     I see that access to the microsecond clock is called
> "microsecondClockValue".  This name is wrong. It derives from
> millisecondClockValue which was indeed a value. The millisecond clock
> started from zero on every image startup and wrapped around every 45 days
> or so.  The microsecond clock is quite different; it is an absolute clock
> whose zero is midnight on January 1st 1901, the start of the 20th century
> (damn those monks). So "Value" should be omitted from the selector.
>
> Isn't it still a value? I frankly do not understand the distinction here..
> Even more, "microsecondClock" doesn't hand me a "clock" object… :)

The Smalltalk-80 code has always maintained the distinction:

Time secondClock
Time millisecondClockValue

 The former is a clock, measuring time from a fixed point in history.  the
latter is a counter starting from an arbitrary point.  I find it a very
useful distinction.  Our current microsecond time is a clock, not a value.

--
best, Eliot