[squeak-dev] International text input on X11

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu May 26 02:09:50 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 06:22:49PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> > On 25-05-2016, at 5:48 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> >
> > Squeak 4.6 and earlier will work with the interpreter VM, and I expect that
> > an older Scratch image should work also, although I do not know exactly when
> > Scratch moved to Spur 6521.
>
> Around last August? Basically as soon as we had Cog working. We didn???t really put any effort into making an V3 Cog and in fact so far as I recall it may not be doable without some hassles because we couldn???t make a method entry block that would conform to the alignment parameters Eliot uses to discriminate between something and something else.

Cog VMs for V3 images built from the latest sources work fine, yes? The pre-built
VMs have been updated quite recently at http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3692/

So for an image in Spur 6521 format, you need a Spur VM. For images in the earlier
V3 format, any Cog or interpreter VM should work. The Scratch image was moved to
Spur 6521 format approximately last August, so these recent Scratch images require
a Spur VM.

The necessary platforms source updates (Cog/Spur/Interpreter) are now in sync
for the X11 display. We do still need to make sure that ImmX11Plugin is included
in the VM for Scratch on Raspbian (and maybe we need to do some updates to the
plugin, I am not sure), but otherwise we should now be close to having Scratch
character input working for Japanese users.

Dave