[squeak-dev] re: App streaming with Snowglobe

Craig Latta craig at blackpagedigital.com
Tue Nov 1 10:09:44 UTC 2016

Hi--

     Aik-Siong writes:

> So, the goal is to create Smalltalk apps that just run on the browser?

     Tim responds:

> If I remember correctly, Craig is being even cleverer than that.
> Start in JS in a browser, download Cog if appropriate, download image
> and start running locally. All seamlessly. With massive buzzword
> compliance to draw in the hipsters and suck them into our world.
>
> And if that isn’t it, then it should be :-)

     Yep, that's what it is. Except it's even more than that. :)  Once
Cog is running too, SqueakJS makes a remote-messaging connection to it,
turning the SqueakJS/Cog pair into a distributed object memory. You can
then link up with other SqueakJS/Cog pairs on other machines.

     But yes, it starts out as a way of demoing Smalltalk apps in a web
browser, without necessarily installing anything.

-C

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital