[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Morphic-jr.1315.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Nov 3 00:44:20 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 02, 2016 at 05:25:28PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> > On 02-11-2016, at 5:19 PM, Jakob Reschke <jakob.reschke at student.hpi.de> wrote:
> > However, coming back to the debug menu, I cannot imagine a reason to
> > ever want an Inspector rather than an Explorer for the model, except
> > when the Explorer screws up on that particular object, at least when
> > using the StandardToolSet.
>
> I???ve had a number of bugs to solve in the past that were actually caused by the explorer trying to render Forms in a tiny thumbnail in order to display it within said explorer. A plain inspector was rather useful then...

Right, the explorer is great, but it can be slow (to the point of appearing to hang
the system) in displaying large collections. It also cannot update the display in real
time in the way that a simple inspector is able to do. That is why it makes sense
or a simple inspector to be the default, and to use the toggle button to switch to
inspector mode.

I do like the idea of reducing menu clutter by just opening one kind of inspector
thing, and letting the user toggle to explorer mode. On the other hand, I suspect
that having separate "inspect it" and "explore it" menu options makes it easier
for an inexperienced user to find the explorer, which is what most people would
want to see most of the time. So a little menu clutter may be worth the price in
this case.

Dave